Thursday 2 October 2014

Diomira: Alternate Reality and Ancient Greek inspiration.

I feel as though I should have a complete post detailing my ideas for the city Diomira and what Ideas and inspirations I want to include into my thumbnails and detailed images. Going off of the description for the city we don't get much in terms of the feel of the city, and what it's like within its walls.

After playing the game Wolfenstien: The New Order, a game in which the Nazi's won world war 2 after discovering hugely advanced technology and supernatural powers, as well as watching films like Frankenstein's army, in which doctor Frankenstein was a real scientist in Germany during the second world war (lots of Nazi's for some reason, might want to get some more original enemies directors) and created amalgamations of technology and soldiers to create new, militarized versions of his monster from the novel. This kind of fantasy story telling really gets me excited because I find other people's interpretations of events and world's hugely fascinating. Frankenstein as a Nazi doctor? awesome.

Taking this philosophy I created a world around the Idea that the world is still in the Ancient Greek era but their technology is vastly advanced compared to what it was, statues of gods are giant, metallic constructs that move and act as sentries instead of guards around the city, buildings are made of metal and look quite harsh, all except the giant diamond like domes that surround the city. Soldiers are outfitted with semi-mech suits that enhance their athletic abilities, generals riding mechanized horse's that sort of this.

This kind of world is much more interesting then the run of the mill description that Calvino has given but I hope to retain the original feel of the city that he imagined. I will be doing some sketches of the city that I want to create soon as well as visualizing some of the robotic inhabitants of the city as well.

Hope to have some work up on here as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment