Thursday 9 October 2014

The start of Life Drawing.

Another year, another life drawing schedule, although to start with we were not drawing the body, rather we were drawing an installation as a way to get use thinking more about negative space and different ways of creating our cities.
 
Each drawing is created with a slightly different medium and focuses on different aspects and areas, as I will explain shortly.  
 
 
 

The first drawings we completed were just visual sketches of the item in question. 20 minutes to get down as much information as possible. I opted to use a normal B pencil and just to create a very loose sketchy image, as I would with any project. In the end I produced a simple interpretation of the installation which some people pointed out resembled a wolf or a motorbike (I don't see it to be honest)
 
 
 

The second image was created with black charcoal on white paper, focusing in the negative space that is presented within the sculpture itself. I opted to go for the shapes create by the string that coated the sculpture, however as I have problems with my eye sight I couldn't see much, objects began to blend together in my vision resulting in the work you can see above.
 
 
 
 
 
Our final sketch was completed with white chalk on black paper as you can see. As we didn't have much time left in the session it was a repeat of the first exercise, get as much information down as you could. I focused mainly on the white sheet that coated the top of the sculpture. using the white chalk and a brush I was able to add some lighting in the time I had but it's not the clear in the image itself.
 
Of all the images we created on the day I feel that the third one is probably the one that I could use to develop into a city or environment, it looks the most like a solid structure, possibly a floating ship, city or a ship in of itself.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. better quality photos next time, Lewis - and also, your blog banner... argh! You've just made your blog completely invisible by making it look like the gazillion over manga-loving fanboys out there... Lewis - people are interested in you, your work, your personal development - don't vanish yourself :(

    ReplyDelete